South Korea's defense ministry on Monday sent to the North the list of its delegation to general-grade talks scheduled for later this week, officials said.
The delegation will be headed by Major General Kim Do-gyun, who handles inter-Korean affairs at the ministry. He will apparently be accompanied by four other officials from the defense and unification ministries.
The list was conveyed to the North at around 3:20 p.m. through the western military communication line and the communication channel at the truce village of Panmunjom, the defense ministry said.
"We also asked the North to send the list of its delegation," it added.
The two Koreas are set to hold general-grade talks on Thursday in Tongilgak, a North Korea-controlled building at Panmunjom, in line with the April 27 inter-Korean summit declaration, which calls for joint efforts to alleviate military tensions.
They held their last general-grade talks in December 2007. They have not met since then amid strained ties over the North's nuclear and missile provocations.
The military talks, initially slated for May, were postponed, as Pyongyang abruptly canceled bilateral high-level talks in protest at the annual South Korea-U.S. air force drills.
In a meeting of high-level officials on June 1, the two Koreas agreed to hold such talks this week to ease military tensions and arrange a meeting of their defense ministers. (Yonhap)